Friday, December 3, 2010

Being a Blessing

I have a friend named Rachel.  Rachel is sweet and witty and kind and insightful and supportive and encouraging and smart and loving and giving and well, the list could go on and on.  Rachel is one of my most dear, closest friends.  She is "that" friend, the one that you can talk to about anything and everything in the world.  She is "that" friend, the one you can call when the choices you've made weren't the greatest, and instead of passing judgement, she will love and support you.  She is "that" friend, the one who is always there to lend a listening ear when you need it, to dole out advice when you need it, and to give you a kick in the pants when you need it!  Everyone should have a friend like Rachel. (I know I am so blessed and thankful that I do!!)

The last few years have been rough.  She and I both went through our divorces together.  We've gone through pregnancies together (her middle son is just a few days younger than Ashlyn!), we gone through losses together (we both have babies waiting for us in heaven), we've gone through happy times and sad times, angry times and thankful times, smooth times and rough times.  Right now, its a rough time for Rachel- and I am doing everything I can to be "that" friend for her.

Rachel is a single momma.  She has 3 boys- ages 9, 7 & 5.  3 lively, rambunctious, lovely little boys.  As many of you know, times are tough- but as a single parent, times can be "tougher" on us.  Rachel was having a rough day the other day, so I listened.  She was upset that Christmas is coming and she really has nothing for her boys.  I listened, and my heart ached for her.   But what could I do?  I'm just a single mom on a tight budget as well....

The more I thought about, the more I knew I wanted to do something to be a blessing in a big way this Christmas season.  But again, I knew I couldn't do it alone.  Then the light bulb went off- I have over 300 friends on my Facebook.  If every person gave $1 to this family in need- what an awesome Christmas that would be!!  I know everyone has at least $1 they could spare- I have $1 I could spare (and probably a few more as well).  So, Operation Christmas Blessing 2010 was born!  Read more about what you can do in the next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment